turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I access the forms and instructions I need to print, sign and mail for an amended return? They did not download properly, and now I cannot locate them again.

Amended a 2021 return and e-filed. TurboTax indicated additional forms with instructions for signing and mailing could be printed. They did not download correctly, and now I cannot find them to try again. Where can I find them?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Can I access the forms and instructions I need to print, sign and mail for an amended return? They did not download properly, and now I cannot locate them again.

The 2021 amended return can ususally be efiled ... in the FILE tab you can choose to do so if allowed.   If not allowed choose to mail it in and the mailing instructions should be in the PDF file of the return to mail.  If not choose the PDF with the worksheets in the PRINT CENTER under the TOOLS tab. 

If you still don't see them then use the PRINT to file option for the forms needed,  SIGN the form, ATTACH all W-2 forms and anything with withholding on it   and mail to the correct address depending on where you live :  https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-paper-tax-returns-with-or-without-a-payment

Thanks for your reply. I was able to e-file, and it has been accepted.

At the time of filing, TurboTax prompted me to print, sign and mail "these documents" (it was a hyperlink), which I attempted to do unsuccessfully. Upon return to the site to try again, the link to "these documents" is no longer available (or if it is, I am unable to locate it).

What is not clear to me is what forms need to be printed, signed and mailed, and where to mail them. I can download and print the 1040-X, but it is the entire return (as opposed to select forms) and does not include the usual mailing instructions?

Ok ... so you need to access the PRINT CENTER ... to do that after you file simply log in, scroll down and click on ADD A STATE to let you back in.   If you efiled the return I doubt there is anything you need to actually mail in. 

Thanks again for your response.

I tried your suggestion and was hopeful as I started to navigate through, but the issue I encountered is that it appears I must actually submit/e-file again to get to the point where it indicates the return is not complete until I print, sign and mail 'these documents.' It doesn't prompt me in the same way at any point prior to actually e-filing. I do not think I want to file yet again, right?

I would like to believe I do not have to submit anything additional by mail, but since the system prompted me to mail something, I am less confident about that.

Well you cannot efile a second time ... any further efilings will simply be rejected.  

At this time if you don't see anything to mail in then don't worry about it.  If the IRS wants something they will ask for it later. Just an heads up ... amended returns are taking about 10 months to process right now so be patient. 

Did you ever find a solution? 

I did nothing after e-filing the amended return and never heard anything further about it. For what it's worth, the amended return did not change my tax liability, which may have been a factor.

Bingo ... the amendment is not needed. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies