California Tax Penalty

ramon-m

California Tax Penalty

I'm paying my CA taxes by Dec 15th and having a hard time figuring out the penalty and interest I owe the state. The FTP is confusing since it says 5% + 0.5% for each month it's late, but I also noticed some websites saying interest is owed on the money. 

If I owe $1,000, and I'm paying my 2018 taxes on 12/15/2019, how much total should I pay?

Anonymous
Not applicable

California Tax Penalty

I would suggest making a payment for the balance due and waiting for a bill for any penalty and interest.     It's almost impossible to calculate the exact amount of penalty and interest because that depends on the date CA receives the payment. 

14JesseMar7old

California Tax Penalty

My turbo Tax for 2020 is completed.  A penalty of $16.00 is due.  Will I receive a bill in the US mail to enable me to pay; or how can I send payment to FTB?

MichelleLO
Employee TurboTax Specialist

California Tax Penalty

When you filed your California state tax return, your tax payment options should have been displayed. You can also pay your tax bill directly on the California FTB website here.

Please see this TurboTax FAQ for additional information: What are my options for getting my state refund or for paying any state taxes I owe? 

@14JesseMar7old