What do I do if I received an IRS letter about a missing Form 8962 on my 2016 return?

Because you purchased your health insurance through Healthcare.gov or a state marketplace, Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit (PTC) should have been included in your return.

See Turbo Tax FAQ below for instructions on how to complete form  8962.

I didn't file my 8962 last year, how do I go about do it

2017 return

amend 2017 federal tax return

step 5 dont click continue you dont want to start the amend process ... ooops i did click continue. Can i just not complete the amend process and still run through the rest of the steps or is everything all screwed up now

If you have received a letter from the IRS asking for form 8962, form 1095-A, and possibly even a recalculated form 1040, page 2, please check which tax year the letter references.  If your letter does not specifically ask for a recalculated page 2 of your 1040, you may disregard that part of the directions. You will only need to provide what the IRS has requested in their letter.

Because you purchased your health insurance through Healthcare.gov or a state marketplace, Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit (PTC) should have been included in your return. It’s used to calculate the amount of your Premium Tax Credit and reconcile any advance payments you received to help pay your health insurance premium.

We’ll help you complete this form with Turbo Tax and you do not have to submit an amendment, just print off and return the forms the letter specified.  If the letter is for tax year 2016, follow the directions below. If the letter is for tax year 2015, please click on the link at the bottom.

• Sign into Turbo Tax
  • Click My Turbo Tax in the upper left. This will take you to My Tax Timeline 
  • Scroll to the bottom for Some things you can do
  • Select Amend (change) return and then Amend Using Turbo Tax
  • Don't click to Continue into the Amend section, simply go to the top and
  • Click on the Federal Taxes tab and then the Health Insurance tab
  • Answer the questions about your health coverage
  • Select Yes, "Was anyone enrolled in any of these less common plans in 2016?" to enter your 1095-A and generate an 8962 form.
  • On the That’s all we need on your 2016 coverage screen,
  • Click Done with Health
  • Select My Account at the top, in the blue
  • Select Print Center
  • Print, save, or preview this year’s return 
  • Click on Print to print the forms you need
  • You can view the forms from here and select just to print the pages with
  • Form 8962 and either Form 1040 or 1040A  (if needed)
  • Or you can select forms filed with the government plus all worksheets
  • Then Save to my computer and simply print those specific pages from the pdf

Mail the following to the IRS address on your IRS letter:

1. Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit
  2. Copy of your Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement
  3. A copy of the IRS letter that you received.
  4. (If you letter asks for it) Form 1040 or 1040A – make sure to sign and date Page 2 of the Form 1040 or 1040A

For letters for the tax year 2015, please see instructions below.