Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tspear14

I entered the wrong federal withholding, which gave me a very large refund which I should not have received. What can I do to correct this, and am I going to jail?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

I entered the wrong federal withholding, which gave me a very large refund which I should not have received. What can I do to correct this, and am I going to jail?

Don't worry, you just need to file an amended return to change the federal withholding on your w-2 form. 

Follow the directions in the TurboTax FAQ below to prepare an amended return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

Note: You are required to mail your amended return. This type of return is not eligible for e-file.

tspear14

Will they send a bill for the refund once they process the amended return? Penalties?
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

No, you must pay the difference in the refund amount and mail the payment with your amended return. The balance due will be listed on line 20 of your amended return Form 1040X.
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

As long as you mail your amended return and payment by 04/15/2019, you will not owe any fines or penalties.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies