turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hstroski6

As a full time student why do I not get all of my federal taxes back

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

There is no tax law or benefit that states that you get all of your taxes that were withheld because you were a full-time student.

Instead, your refund or balance due is determined by your income, filing status, and deductions compared with the tax withholdings.  This is the same for everyone, whether or not they are a student.  If you are being claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return, then your tax return will also be affected by that. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

There is no tax law or benefit that states that you get all of your taxes that were withheld because you were a full-time student.

Instead, your refund or balance due is determined by your income, filing status, and deductions compared with the tax withholdings.  This is the same for everyone, whether or not they are a student.  If you are being claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return, then your tax return will also be affected by that. 

Exactly what I’m thinking because I try to work as much hours along with my school schedule and I don’t earn a lot…it took a couple hundred dollars off when I said I was a full time student!!

RobertB4444
Employee Tax Expert

When you entered that you were a full time student you may have also told the program that you were eligible to be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return.  If that is the case then your deduction dropped significantly.

If you ARE a dependent on someone else's return then this is the way it is supposed to be - the IRS doesn't give you as big a deduction because you are receiving support from your family.

If you are NOT supposed to be a dependent on someone else's return then you need to go back to 'Personal Info' and adjust that.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies