hstroski6

As a full time student why do I not get all of my federal taxes back

AnnetteB

There is no tax law or benefit that states that you get all of your taxes that were withheld because you were a full-time student.

Instead, your refund or balance due is determined by your income, filing status, and deductions compared with the tax withholdings.  This is the same for everyone, whether or not they are a student.  If you are being claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return, then your tax return will also be affected by that. 

AnnetteB

Unreaddeck

Exactly what I’m thinking because I try to work as much hours along with my school schedule and I don’t earn a lot…it took a couple hundred dollars off when I said I was a full time student!!

RobertB4444

When you entered that you were a full time student you may have also told the program that you were eligible to be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return.  If that is the case then your deduction dropped significantly.

If you ARE a dependent on someone else's return then this is the way it is supposed to be - the IRS doesn't give you as big a deduction because you are receiving support from your family.

If you are NOT supposed to be a dependent on someone else's return then you need to go back to 'Personal Info' and adjust that.