turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CCamp01

Are there any limits regarding filing an amended return? My 1041 was e-filed and accepted, then I got two corrected 1099s with a total impact on taxes of $3. Pointless?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Are there any limits regarding filing an amended return? My 1041 was e-filed and accepted, then I got two corrected 1099s with a total impact on taxes of $3. Pointless?

Probably pointless, when under $5 tax change.

IRS does not disclose tolerances on what is minimum. 

You are required to file a tax return that is substantially correct.

There is however a requirement that a bank does not have to issue a 1099INT if less than $10, so use that as a guide.

Now if the 1099's corrected resulted in $3 tax change but reduced a capital loss carryover by a large amount then I would amend, otherwise put the corrected 1099's with tax records, and if you Amend for another reason then correct these also.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Probably pointless, when under $5 tax change.

IRS does not disclose tolerances on what is minimum. 

You are required to file a tax return that is substantially correct.

There is however a requirement that a bank does not have to issue a 1099INT if less than $10, so use that as a guide.

Now if the 1099's corrected resulted in $3 tax change but reduced a capital loss carryover by a large amount then I would amend, otherwise put the corrected 1099's with tax records, and if you Amend for another reason then correct these also.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies