Are tax amendment fees tax deductible

During 2016 I paid a tax professional to file amendments for 2 earlier years ($200/year). Are these fees tax deductible for this year?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

ThomasM

Are tax amendment fees tax deductible

Yes, tax preparation fees are deductible on Schedule A in the year they were paid, whether they were for original returns or amended returns.  So whatever you paid the tax pro in 2016 is deductible on the 2016 return.

To enter these fees in TurboTax, click on Federal Taxes, then Deductions & Credits, then I'll Choose What I Work On, then scroll down to Other Deductions & Credits.  You'll see Tax Preparation Fees first on that list.  Just click Start and follow the prompts to enter the amounts you paid.

ThomasM

Are tax amendment fees tax deductible