turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Anyone get their 2019 CD yet?

@kamull01 

You wrote:  "This year on Nov 13 in my account I saw the CD license code, but no download button."

Missing download button or non-working download button  has been an occasional problem in the past due to certain browser issues.   Try using a different browser and see if the license code is visible and the download is working.      Use this link:

https://shopping.turbotax.intuit.com/app/downloads/

You do NOT have to install the CD.  I don't know why Support told you that.  One of the main purposes of the license code is so everyone can download it, since many people do not even have a CD/DVD drive.

to Mesquitebean:  Well, that explains why I never saw that dialogue box that Critter shows in her image, because I went to my TT Advantage account and confirmed my order in September there inside my account.  It said there on Oct 31 that I was to be getting "TurboTax Deluxe 2019 w/Fed Efile & FREE State Download"

Yes, inside my TT Advantage account,  under the "Downloads" tab, it says my order is “TURBOTAX ADVANTAGE DELUXE TAX YEAR 2019 CD,”  so as you stated, it does say "Advantage CD," but I do not have a blue download button.  It only says "Your license code is included with your shipped order."

Something is definitely haywire here, or else I am not finding the right place to find the license code and to get the download.

Call the advantage 800 number listed within your advantage account to resolve is my suggestion 

I would still clear your cookies and/or use a different browser window if you do not have the option to download the program ... otherwise call support on Monday.    And FYI ... the current beta version of the program is far from fully operational yet and will not be until sometime in January or even early february  so don't be in too much of a rush to get it.  

A LOT of the program is not functional yet mostly due to the IRS not being ready ... they have not yet issued all of the  final forms or instructions for many things so the software companies "punt" for right now until the true game can commence ...

These first releases of the program are usually very buggy and will require MANY updates before it becomes fully functional which usually will not happen until late January or sometime in February depending on the forms you need.  So patience will be needed as the IRS has not even announced when the 2020 filing season will start yet.  And since most of the state's piggy back on the federal return they are also scrambling to catch up with all the changes.  Buckle up it's going to be a very bumpy ride yet again ;-).

This  past tax year, the 1040 form was redesigned again and the 6 schedules were reduced to 3 AND  a new 1040SR ( for seniors) was added …these changes will most likely delay things somewhat …  so the smart money is on the patient person who waits to file until most of the bugs have been worked out.  Last time this happened many of the early filers had their returns lost or delayed for months so don't be in a hurry to jump off that cliff.

The tax programs this year have had to be reworked (again like last year) by every tax software company due to the changes above since it is not just as simple as " adding a form or worksheet " since many of the forms interwork with each other ... lots of moving parts to coordinate.   And before they can get final approval they need to be tested and approved by the IRS who themselves are not up to speed yet ... this is an impossible situation that will require patience on all fronts. Even my professional program has indicated that they will be delayed in getting out the first version this year and I appreciate them waiting until they have a working product when it is pushed out.

When will my forms be ready?

Historically, IRS tax forms start becoming available in January, with a few stragglers (most notably Form 1040X) getting finalized in February.

State tax forms can become available for filing any time between December and late February, depending on the state and the tax form.

For specific forms and dates, refer to the Forms Availability Table for your TurboTax product, see the related information below.

Can I Still Work On My Return Before My Forms are Ready?

Yes, according to the following:

Federal Taxes
You can still work on your return and finish most of it. Once your forms become available, we’ll create the forms and include all of your info.

You’ll only be able to e-file or print your return once the forms are available.

While you’re working on your return, we’ll ask if you want to receive email updates when your forms become available.

State Taxes 
If your forms aren’t available, you’ll get a message asking you to return once they become available.

While you’re working on your return, you’ll have a chance to let us know you want to receive email updates when your forms become available.

Related Information:

IRS Forms Availability Table for TurboTax Individual (Personal) Tax Products

Click on the REVIEW tab and the program will tell you what in your return is still NOT ready and the estimated date it will be (subject to change of course ) ... you can put in for an email alert when they are ready ....

To mequitebean:  In Microsoft Edge, I got a TT screen to update this browser.  I did that and then got into my TT Advantage account.  There is still no blue download button.

So, I tried Internet Explorer where I got a TT screen to update Chrome, Safari, or Firefox (which I normally use) -- nothing about updating IE.   This is odd because I am using IE.  And, my FF browser is up-to-date, according to FF.   When I clicked on the link for updating FF, it was a FF site to download it.  I don't want to download whatever is offered there, because all of my settings in my currently up-to-date FF will revert to whatever defaults FF uses in the download.  And then I will have to go into FF settings and re-set them to all of my preferences.

I have even tried to access my TT advantage account via https://turbotax.intuit.com (I normally use https://accounts.intuit.com/signin.html), but I get a differently looking screen, but still tiles to update browsers (Chrome, which I don't have, IE, Safari (I am using a Windows PC), and Firefox).  This time it offers IE (not Microsoft Edge).  I updated it, but it was actually an update of Microsoft Edge.  But, I had already updated Edge previously.  So, I bypassed the option to update.  I get to a screen that has a black panel on the left and I click on "Intuit Account".  Then I get a "Sign-in & Security" screen, which is basically my account information.  There is no way to get out of this screen into other sections of my account (no tabs at the top).  There is an "Exit" in the upper-right hand corner, but that takes me out of the account altogether.

So, although Edge takes to my TT Advantage Account and the Download tab, there is no blue download button there and it says, as in FF, that "Your license code is included with your shipped order."

But, I still maintain, that since I placed my order for "TurboTax Deluxe 2019 w/Fed Efile & FREE State Download" and it currently says under the "Download" tab “TURBOTAX ADVANTAGE DELUXE TAX YEAR 2019 CD,"  that I SHOULD BE GETTING A DOWNLOAD.   No matter whether it's up-to-date Firefox or up-to-date Microsoft Edge, the results are the same --- no download.

to NCPerson:  TurboTax only helps Monday - Friday, not on weekends.

to Critter:

Thanks for the lengthly rationale for waiting.  All of your remarks were very helpful.

I will definitely wait to work on my taxes and to file.

But I want a download, which I believe I am entitled to.  As it looks now, the next step is probably to wait for the CD.  In some years, the CD has never arrived and I have had to ask for it to be sent again.  I go away over Thanksgiving and even though I have my mail held, it's not always there in the mail that I pick up after Thanksgiving, and then it never comes unless I ask for another CD.    If I have to wait for another CD and another license code that comes with it, then it will be even longer before I get a download.  I think I should be able to access a download now, CD or no CD.

Log into your advantage account and call the 800 number listed there on Monday..... 

To Critter:   I have cleared all of the cookies and cache in Microsoft Edge, in Internet Explorer, and in Firefox.  So, I have done both: cleared cookies and used a different browser.  Still no access to a download button or a download via the link at the bottom (because there is no information online about my license code).

Well on Monday post back the answer when you talk to support.

To Critter: 

I called the TT Advantage number on Monday morning Nov 25, using the Support ID I received on Nov 13.   The TT agent agreed to send me a new downloadable version with a new license code for it at no charge (although I had to give her the security code on the back of the credit card I had used when I placed the order in October). She also gave me my order number and my license code over the phone.  The download was accomplished by first opening up an e-mail sent by the agent, then clicking on the Download button in the e-mail, and then getting the TT Advantage sign-in screen.  Once inside my TT Advantage account and clicking on the Downloads tab, I found a new item, this time labeled "TURBOTAX DELUXE TAX YEAR 2019 WIN DOWNLOAD WITH STATE" with a blue-green Download button next to it!!  Under the name of the item was a new license code.  I clicked on the Download button and the .exe file downloaded onto my computer.  It installed OK, and and then a "Launch" button appeared on the screen.  After launching, it asked for the license code.

I expected to have to scroll down to the bottom of my TT Advantage Downloads screen and to copy/type in the license code that was listed with the item at the top of the page, as NC Person has described elsewhere.  But, instead there was a "Download" button at the top of the screen next to the download item that I had just ordered.

I received the CD in the mail this afternoon and the license code that came with it is NOT the license code that I saw on the screen on Nov 13 and failed to write down before it disappeared on or about Nov 18.  That must have been the license code for the download of the original order.  As I said in a previous note, when I saw the license code on Nov 13, I had no idea about what to do with it (such as scrolling down to the bottom of the screen to enter the code there). 

I don't know why the license code disappeared after I looked at it on Nov 13.  [NCPerson says that HIS license code is still there, even though he has downloaded the downloadable version via the link at the bottom of the screen.]  I don't know why there was never a "Download" button next to the CD item. 

In sum, it's clear there were some display problems when making the downloadable version available with a CD order immediate after the release of 2019 TT.   But, TT has finally (today Nov 25) made a download available to me, as described above.

I hope this reply is helpful to others who might be having the same problem(s).

And for anyone else reading this, here are my notes.....

When I downloaded the program on my Windows…..
I first clicked on Copy Code then on the download.
Then clicked on the exe file.
Got a little worried when it didn't ask to Activate when installing. But when it was done I clicked on Launch Now and the first thing the Activate box popped up and I did my Ctrl+V to paste the code and it worked!

2019 Download page .jpg

to VolvoGirl: Thanks for adding the information about copying the license code so that it can be used after downloading, installing, and then launching.

@kamull01 

Others have reported the "missing download button" and it has been linked to the browser they were using ... seems IE is being an issue ... you may try logging into the Advantage screen again using a different browser like Chrome or Edge.

@Critter:  I was using Firefox, latest update.  As I replied earlier on November 23 to @mesquitebean 's suggestion, I tried MS Edge, and MS IE, but those two browsers didn't work either.  I also replied to you that day that clearing cache and cookies in all three browsers didn't work either.

The only solution was a call to the TT Advantage number early on Monday, Nov 25.  In a note later that day (three messages above yours), I described the call and what happened afterwards so that others can know a way to solve the problem.  VolvoGirl added more helpful information afterwards.

P.S.  Thanks for demonstrating how to use the @ links to members, content to reference earlier notes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies