turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kristen4

Anyone else have taxes amended without their knowledge? Waiting on letter from IRS in regards to return but have not received? Filed return electronically in March.

Federal taxes were amended. Have not filed state yet. Received stimulus check but not return.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Anyone else have taxes amended without their knowledge? Waiting on letter from IRS in regards to return but have not received? Filed return electronically in March.

Please use the following link to contact Customer Support for further assistance.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

View solution in original post

8 Replies

If you mean the IRS changed( not amend ... only you amend a return)  your return then yes they can and will do so ... until you get the IRS notice explaining what they did it is just a guessing game.     Did you have to send in the form 8962 after you filed by chance ?  

And do not file the state until you find out what happened. 

kristen4

Therein lies the problem @Critter-3 ; I did not amend my return. I did not send in a form 8962. However, when logging into TurboTax, it's showing me that "the IRS has accepted my amended federal return." 

Any ideas as to how long I should be waiting to receive this mysterious IRS letter? It's been at least 4 months since noting that I should be receiving a letter.  

Also have noted to not file state before figuring this out - Thanks!

Ok ... well that is a different situation ... wish you had led with that nugget of information.  

SO ... let's see what you did since this  is on your end. 

Just recently amended returns can be efiled so it sounds like you efiled an amended return (in the last month)  instead of an original return and how the IRS will handle error  this is unknown at this time ... in the past they would send a letter asking you to mail in the original return.   

So did you ...

1) efile a non filer return earlier in the year ? (most likely situation)

2) efiled an original return but it was rejected so you clicked on amend a return by accident to make the corrections ?

3) did not efile the original return and when you came back to continue the process you accidentally clicked on amend a return to open the closed file and then filed the amended return by accident? 

If you filed more than 4 months ago did you efile it or mail it in ? Was it a non filer return ?  

Also look at the PDF of the return ... do you now have a 1040X in the mix ?   Is there anything in Column B ?

kristen4

My apologies. 

I never amended anything. I only sent it in the one time in March.  It was accepted by IRS back in March via text with no notice of rejection. How would I know if I filed an "non filer return" or filed an amended return by accident? 

Please use the following link to contact Customer Support for further assistance.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

kristen4

No 1040X. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies