turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I sold an inherited business license where do I enter in turbo deluxe?sale was below market value, inherited in 2014 which I did not report in turbo deluxe do I amend?

I did not know that this license was sellable until 2016. I did not report it in 2014 because I thought it had no value.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RichardG

If I sold an inherited business license where do I enter in turbo deluxe?sale was below market value, inherited in 2014 which I did not report in turbo deluxe do I amend?

An inheritance is not taxable income, so there was nothing for you to report in 2014.  There's no need to amend the 2014 tax return.  

Your basis in the license is its fair market value in 2014 when the prior owner died.  If you sold it for less than that amount, you have a long-term capital loss.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RichardG

An inheritance is not taxable income, so there was nothing for you to report in 2014.  There's no need to amend the 2014 tax return.  

Your basis in the license is its fair market value in 2014 when the prior owner died.  If you sold it for less than that amount, you have a long-term capital loss.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies