turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oct 16 is the IRS deadline–file confidently with expert help. File Now
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Member

Amending AFTER IRS sent proposed amount due?

2017 was my first time filing, in that time I was waiting on three W-2s. After I received all three I thought that I put in all my information from all my W-2s, I thought wrong I missed one. However, I filed with no problem. However, I received a proposed amount due letter from the IRS the beginning of this year. Apparently I missed some information from one of my W-2s. What my jobs reported didn't match what I reported. I was told that I can still amend this without having to pay, I was wanting to know if that was true before I have to hand over the money owed to the IRS because of a mistake I made.

This feature is pending. Thanks for your patience.
Didn't get the answer you wanted? Talk to a live expert to get the help you need.
1 Reply

Amending AFTER IRS sent proposed amount due?

Best thing to do is to file an amended return with the information that should have been on the original return and see the difference in the return would be (you would either owe or get another refund). You will need to print and mail your amended return in to the IRS. You should not try to amend your return until the original return it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.

Amended returns do not “catch up” to your original return and replace them; they are processed as two separate returns.  
Amended returns have to be printed and filed by mail.  It can take the IRS up to 12 weeks or longer to process them.   If you are due a larger refund than on your original return, your amended return should only show the difference and you will receive a separate check for it.  If you owe money on your amended return, it will show only the new amount owed, you will have to mail a check with the return. You can check the status of your amended return by clicking here:

 Click here for amending instructions: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

After you prepared and filed your amended return you should contact the IRS and let them know you have filed an amended return so they can updated your files and be on the lookout for that return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies