turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cvshell
Returning Member

Amending 2019 return in the TurboTax CD/Download software

I am trying to efile an amend 2019 return in the TurboTax CD/Download software but the system will not let me because the Oct 15,2020 efile deadline has passed.  Is there a work around or do I have to print and mail my fifty page return to both state and federal?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

E-filing of a 2019 tax return has closed using the TurboTax software.  The 2019 tax returns can only be printed and mailed.  The Federal tax return to the IRS and the State tax return to your state.

The Filing Instructions for each tax return will have the mailing address and the forms and schedules that are to be included with each tax return.

Any W-2's and Form 1099's with taxes withheld are to be included with each mailed tax return.

In the FILE tab choose to mail in the return and the correct mailing instructions and forms will be populated. 

And due to the earlier covid shut down expect the amended return to take at least  4 to 6 months to process. 

when you amend , include only the forms and schedule that were added or changed due to your amendment.

Rules for the state amended  return will vary by state.

I need to file an amended 2019 return.  When I click the File tab and select File By Mail, the instructions page that gets generated shows E-file information.  The forms generated are the instructions page, amended filing checklist form, Form 1040X, Form 1040, and Electronic Postmark page.  Do I need all of those if all I needed to change was the dependent information?

@rhodetj wrote:

I need to file an amended 2019 return.  When I click the File tab and select File By Mail, the instructions page that gets generated shows E-file information.  The forms generated are the instructions page, amended filing checklist form, Form 1040X, Form 1040, and Electronic Postmark page.  Do I need all of those if all I needed to change was the dependent information?

Only the Form 1040-X needs to be printed, signed, dated and mailed to the IRS.

So I am wondering if I need to do an amended 2019 return or not.  My son's girlfriend's 2019 taxes mistakenly have her as "Someone can claim you as a dependent" so she did not receive any stimulus $.  She has double-checked that nobody claimed her so we were thinking of amending her 2019 return so she can claim stimulus $ (she is eligible).  Should we wait and just do this when we do her 2020 tax return instead?  The stimulus is really based on 2020 dependent status anyway, correct?

@rhodetj wrote:

So I am wondering if I need to do an amended 2019 return or not.  My son's girlfriend's 2019 taxes mistakenly have her as "Someone can claim you as a dependent" so she did not receive any stimulus $.  She has double-checked that nobody claimed her so we were thinking of amending her 2019 return so she can claim stimulus $ (she is eligible).  Should we wait and just do this when we do her 2020 tax return instead?  The stimulus is really based on 2020 dependent status anyway, correct?

Correct.  No need to amend if this concerns any type of stimulus payment.  The federal tax return for tax year 2020 is used to report the stimulus payments received or not received.  Any credits owed to you will be entered on the federal Form 1040 Line 30.  Those will be included in your federal tax refund or will reduce the amount of federal taxes owed on the 2020 tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies