Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Amend "married filing jointly" to "married filing separately"

I can amend this easily using TurboTax because I filed the original (joint) one for us. However, for my husband, does he need to create a new TurboTax account and file the amend? If so, how can he do this, while there's no original tax on file for him to amend?
1 Reply
New Member

Amend "married filing jointly" to "married filing separately"

If you already filed and the return was accepted by IRS, you have to wait until you receive your refund before you can amend your taxes. You will amend yours by removing your spouse and your spouse will file a new paper return. He cannot e-file. You can amend your taxes any time this year.

If your return is rejected or not yet submitted, you can edit any time by removing your spouse information; And your spouse will file his own and be able to efile.  

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return -

Note that filing a joint Return will generally give you a bigger refund or less taxes due. Your tax rate is higher When you file separately and you won't be able to claim the following credit:

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings