turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Am I supposed to put my tax return amount when asked prior year federal tax for 2016 or prior years?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

Am I supposed to put my tax return amount when asked prior year federal tax for 2016 or prior years?

To e-file your 2017 taxes, the IRS requires your 2016 AGI for identity verification (unless you didn't file 2016 taxes; in that case enter 0 as your AGI).

As long as you transfer last year's taxes over to your 2017 tax return, we'll also transfer your 2016 AGI behind the scenes.

But if your 2016 AGI didn't transfer – for example, you created a new login for 2017, your 2016 tax return is on your old computer, etc. – read on.

Where to find your 2016 AGI

The best place to get this number is from your originally-filed 2016 federal tax return.

Even if you amended it later, you must use the AGI from the 2016 return you originally filed, even if it's way off.  

Don't have a copy of last year's return? You can order a transcript from the IRS. Go to their https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript site, choose Get Transcript Online, and follow the directions (if you don't already have an account, you'll need to set one up).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies