williampramirez

Am I supposed to include unemployment benefit compensation in my 2020 return or will the IRS include it for me?

UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION

Unemployment compensation is taxable on your federal return. 

You will have to enter a 1099G that is issued by your state.

Some states will mail out the 1099G.  Or you might need to go to your state’s unemployment website and use the password, etc. that you have been using to certify for weekly benefits to get your 1099G from the state’s site.

Enter your 1099G in Federal>Wages & Income>Unemployment

Go through the screens very carefully, making sure  to enter any federal/state tax you had withheld from the unemployment.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/where-do-i-report-a-1099-g-for-unemploymen...

STATES THAT TAX UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS

AZ, AR, CO, CT, DE, DC, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MA, ME, MD, MI, MN, MS, MO, NB, NM, NY,NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, RI, SC, UT, VT, WV, WI

STATES THAT DO NOT  TAX UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS on the state return

AK, CA, FL, MT, NH, NJ, NV ,PA, SD, TN, TX, VA, WA, WY

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/personal-income-taxes/help/how-does-receiving-unemployment-affect-...

Allenbrault

What about the new releif bill which allows for $10,200 non taxable unemployment benefit?

TerukoL

Please click How will the third stimulus impact me? to learn more about the new relief bill.