turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was an international student during 2015/2016 (J1 visa). I filled out my taxes using TurboTax. I e-filed form 1040ez instead of 1040nrez. I got refunded, what I do?

I got refunded in my bank account and I have no idea about how I should give it back. I also know I should fill out form 1040x, but I don't know all the spaces there. I have to fill it out completely? Some people advised me to pay the IRS by paper check however I don't know how to calculate if I'm owing anything to IRS.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I was an international student during 2015/2016 (J1 visa). I filled out my taxes using TurboTax. I e-filed form 1040ez instead of 1040nrez. I got refunded, what I do?

You would simply just need to amend your Form 1040 to Form 1040-NR by following the steps from below.  Our partner, Sprintax will provide step by step interview questions to assist you through the filing process and calculates the taxes you are entitled to.  Simply follow the prompts.  You will then send back to IRS the difference in your refunds between Form 1040 and 1040-NR. 

-If you are considered as a non-resident, as TurboTax does not support the NR form, you are recommended to use our affiliated partner, Sprintax to complete your 1040-NR filing.  

1.  Download Form 1040-X from the IRS website ( see below).  On the front page of Form 1040-X, enter your name, current address, and social security number (SSN) or IRS individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN)

2.  Do not enter any other information on page 1.  

3.  Do not complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040X.

4.  Enter in Part III the reason why you are filing Form 1040X.

5.  Complete a new or corrected form 1040-NR by using Sprintax, see above.

6.  Across the top of the 1040-NR, write “Amended

7.  Attach form 1040-X to the back of Form 1040X

For more information, see:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf  - form

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf  - instructions

page 5 under Residents and Nonresidents

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Alright, but what about the payment? Based on the 1040NR should I be able to know how much I have to pay back the IRS? How can i do the payment? Should I send the amendment and wait for the IRS tell me how much I need to pay?
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

No, you do not wait on IRS to tell you.  First, do the Form 1040-NR and figure out if you owe IRS or get a refund by following Form 1040-X instructions.  Then if you will be getting more, send the amendment and wait on IRS to send you the difference.  If you owe them, send the difference back to them with the amendment.

I also did not do the form 8843 for 2015. Can I send it even being late?
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

You would simply just need to amend your Form 1040 to Form 1040-NR by following the steps from below.  Our partner, Sprintax will provide step by step interview questions to assist you through the filing process and calculates the taxes you are entitled to.  Simply follow the prompts.  You will then send back to IRS the difference in your refunds between Form 1040 and 1040-NR. 

-If you are considered as a non-resident, as TurboTax does not support the NR form, you are recommended to use our affiliated partner, Sprintax to complete your 1040-NR filing.  

1.  Download Form 1040-X from the IRS website ( see below).  On the front page of Form 1040-X, enter your name, current address, and social security number (SSN) or IRS individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN)

2.  Do not enter any other information on page 1.  

3.  Do not complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040X.

4.  Enter in Part III the reason why you are filing Form 1040X.

5.  Complete a new or corrected form 1040-NR by using Sprintax, see above.

6.  Across the top of the 1040-NR, write “Amended

7.  Attach form 1040-X to the back of Form 1040X

For more information, see:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf  - form

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf  - instructions

page 5 under Residents and Nonresidents

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies