After trying to efile an amendment it says to mail in my return but i selected debit the money from my account. The form says to go on the IRS site and pay it do I?

kncurry92

WillK

No, you do not have to, but most people prefer to pay online when they file an amended return. It is up to you. When you enter the information for your account to be debited and mail in your amended return the IRS will directly debit your account when they process the return. 

kncurry92

Okay that makes sense. So if I were to pay on the IRS site, will it cancel out the debit from my account that I already authoriZed?
fanfare

where do you propose to do that direct debit info.?
There is no bank account info section on Form 1040X.

Form 1040X becomes your new tax return.
kncurry92

It specifically asked for the bank account info to debit from.
fanfare

I suggest you include a check annotated "For 1040X" , When it is cashed you will know IRS received your amendment.
fanfare

Do not include your old 1040 nor your revised 1040 because the Form 1040X reflects any changes there and becomes your new tax return.

The bottom line is, direct debit/direct deposit is not an option with amended tax returns.