• Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
todd-l-ebbert

Adding another W2 after filed

I recreived another W-2 form after I filed, what can I do to fix this? I didn't realize I had more coming.
36 Replies
laughingtwig

Just select "amend/change return" under the Taxes tab once signed in to your TurboTax account. They should walk you through the steps as always.

dharvard1992

When does it update I still have the same amount
lil-peach

Same.
mesquitebean
Level 15

This is an old answered thread from 2 years ago that is unlikely to be seen.  If you have a question for the forum, please start a thread so that it will show up as needing help.   You can ask your question at the link below:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/new">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/new</a>
mesquitebean
Level 15

If your efiled return is rejected, you can simply make the changes and resubmit.

If your efiled return is accepted, however, then the only way to change it is to prepare an amended return Form 1040X. It has to be printed and mailed.

The Form 1040X is scheduled to be ready for printing in TurboTax on February 12.

You should wait on any refund (if applicable) to arrive before amending.

In the meantime, do not make any changes in the return.  An amended return has to start off exactly as originally filed.

mesquitebean
Level 15

Info added above:  You may also need to prepare an amended State return (if applicable.)
eklopez41500

I need to add another W2 on my taxes return. How do it do it? I forgot to add it on 

DonnaLO
Expert Alumni

If you have not yet filed, you can make changes. 

Please follow these instructions:

1. Select "Federal Taxes" on the left panel  

2. Select the "Wages & Income" sub-tab at the top of the screen

3. Select See all income

4. Select Start/Revisit next to W-2 income to add your new information. 

If you have already filed:

You will have to wait to see if your return is Accepted by the IRS or Rejected.

1. Rejected: You can re-enter the return and add the W-2.
  2. Accepted: You have to wait until you receive your refund (if you are getting one), OR any payment that you made toward your tax bill clears.   At that time you can amend your tax return.  Here is information about amending returns:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-...
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Joe_r

But what if you're refund is already pending.. Because mine is but I just got another w2 in the mail I completely forgot about 

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

If you have already filed and your refund is pending, you will need to complete an Amendment to capture the new forms.  To complete and Amendment, please see the below link:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-...

mesquitebean
Level 15

@Joe_r wrote:

But what if you're refund is already pending.. Because mine is but I just got another w2 in the mail I completely forgot about 

Please confirm what you meant by the term "pending" above.  Specifically, what is the efile status?   Does your efiled return have an efile status of accepted, and the return is now indeed in processing at the IRS?   Or have you recently efiled and the efile status is shown as "pending" when you check in your Online TurboTax account?

If the IRS has indeed accepted your efile and is now processing your return, then wait for them to finish processing it, and wait until you receive the refund before amending your return.   The Form 1040X for an amended return will not be available in TurboTax until 2/12/2020 anyway.

The amended return will have to be printed, signed, dated, and mailed.  It cannot be efiled. It can take the IRS up to 16 weeks to process an amended return.

NOTE:  In the meantime, do NOT make any changes in your original filed return.  Do NOT add the newly-received W-2 into the return yet.   When you prepare the amended return, it has to start off with the return in the original condition that it was filed.

vnortonstrong

how can i resubmit my taxes electronically after adding another w2 form?

CassLO
Expert Alumni

Amended returns as can not be e-filed.

You will have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return.
 If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  Then you can prepare an amended tax return and mail it in.

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return?

mesquitebean
Level 15

@vnortonstrong 

As TurboTax CassLO said above, everything depends on whether your first efiled attempt was rejected or accepted.

If your first submission was accepted, you'll have to prepare an amended return Form 1040X to add the additional W-2.  But in that case wait for any refund, if applicable, to arrive first.   In any case, the Form 1040X for amended returns won't be available in TurboTax until 2/12/2020.

In the meantime, do NOT make any changes in your original return.  If you end up needing to amend it, it must start off exactly as it was when you originally filed it.  If you have to amend, then do not make any changes in it until the Amend program tells you to.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v