Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

4464c letter states business income?

Husband and I received 4464c letter dated 3/9/2018 saying our return is under review. He's been the one who always filed but this year I worked and he did not (he started his job in December so only claimed one paycheck on our taxes). No major changes other than that and we didn't have to file an injured spouse form this tax season as well. The letter states as one of the reasons we're under additional review is "business income you reported on your return". We don't own any businesses so I'm wondering why they are even looking at that? We didn't claim any business income or anything. Literally only had 3 w2's to claim and we have 2 children together that we've always claimed. Not sure if there are errors on our return or what.

1 Reply
Level 9

4464c letter states business income?

Go through your return to make sure that the W-2's were claimed in the correct section of the program and no other business income was reported on the return. If there are no errors, unfortunately you will need to wait until the IRS concludes your review and sends you a letter with their findings.

If you do find an error on the return you can file an amended return to correct the errors. 

Amended returns do not “catch up” to your original return and replace them; they are processed as two separate returns.  
Amended returns have to be printed and filed by mail.  It can take the IRS up to 12 weeks or longer to process them.   If you are due a larger refund than on your original return, your amended return should only show the difference and you will receive a separate check for it.  If you owe money on your amended return, it will show only the new amount owed, you will have to mail a check with the return. You can check the status of your amended return by clicking here:

 Click here for amending instructions:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies