turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

devecchis

40000 cash out 403 b after changing employers how much tax to take out so i wont owe next spring

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

40000 cash out 403 b after changing employers how much tax to take out so i wont owe next spring

35%-43% for the IRS depending on your other income and filing status, plus 3%-10% for your state taxes depending on your state.

Cashing out is a terrible idea.  Much better to roll it over to a private IRA or transfer it to a new 403(b) or 401(k) at your next job.  And in most cases, you can leave the money in the 403(b) while you decide what to do, even after leaving the employer.

If you are 30 years from retirement, you're looking at $20,000 cash now after tax, or $230,000 when you retire.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

35%-43% for the IRS depending on your other income and filing status, plus 3%-10% for your state taxes depending on your state.

Cashing out is a terrible idea.  Much better to roll it over to a private IRA or transfer it to a new 403(b) or 401(k) at your next job.  And in most cases, you can leave the money in the 403(b) while you decide what to do, even after leaving the employer.

If you are 30 years from retirement, you're looking at $20,000 cash now after tax, or $230,000 when you retire.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies