jyeh74

2018 Amended return showed refund but state gave me letter with no balance

I had slight changes to my state amended return in 2018.  It resulted in a refund.  I mailed in my 540 and 540x.  It took many months (state is behind schedule) and I received a letter from the state that said "notice of tax return change - no balance".  I don't understand.  I printed everything on the amended state return and it showed a refund.  The letter says that there is 0 balance due.  Did CA not read the 540x that showed there is a refund due?

Anyone have this happen to them before?  Do I need to RESEND everything?  Do I have to include 540 + 540x + federal returns all over again?

Mike9241

we can't see the letter or amended return. if the letter doesn't explain the reason for the refund denial, you need to contact the FTB at the number on the letter. resending would likely result in the same result.  

jyeh74

@Mike9241 It just said that my taxable income and tax and exemptions and total tax liability, withholdings, refunds previously issued resulted in a revised balance of 0.

However, the turbo tax amended return was due to changes in the 1098, which resulted in a 540X refund.  Do they NOT see the 540X showing a refund?  I'm not sure how that was missed.

Does someone actually pick up the 800 number?  I thought those things were all automated.  I'm not looking to spend 3 hrs on hold waiting for someone.