turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mbunes

2017 error in W2 entry?

I received an approximately $7,500 payment request from the IRS for my 2017 return filed with TurboTax and with the insurance from Tax Audit.

Tax Audit has informed me that the payment is not covered by my insurance. But, I believe I payed for Intuit's guarantee that  my return filed through TurboTax would be correct and without error. Tax Audit mentioned there was a glitch on the importing of my wife’s W2 form. How is that possible?

What recourse do I have with intuit besides making this an ugly dispute between David and Goliath?

Thank you any help you can provide,   Michael
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

2017 error in W2 entry?

TurboTax guarantees that its calculations are correct.  The software has no way to know if you as a user enter a W-2 incorrectly, or leave out income that you should have entered, or if you made any of the myriad other user errors possible.  

When you import a W-2 you should carefully check the data you imported against the actual W-2 issued by your employer.  The error could have come from the employer's source.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/corp/guarantees/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

2017 error in W2 entry?

What was wrong with it?  Did you claim excess Social Security paid? 

For 2017, If you had more than one employer and  the total of box 4 (only box 4 not box 6) on all your 2017 W2s  for Social Security is more than $7,886.40 you get the excess back on your tax return.  And it is for each spouse separately, not combined.  Check 1040 line 71 for it.    If both spouse's W2 got entered under the same person that was a user error.

Or check W2 box 12.  You may have entered Code A by mistake.

Then better check your 2018 return Schedule 5 line 72 and see if the W2s transferred over wrong and you have excess SS on 2018 also.  

Then for next year either do not transfer from 2018 or delete all the W2s and enter them new, paying attention which spouse.

Anonymous
Not applicable

2017 error in W2 entry?

understand that even if it was a TT calculation error, the guarantee only covers penalties and interest, so you would be responsible for the additional taxes no matter what.    if you are sure it was a TT computation error, rather than an error you made in input,  since  TT has denied your claim, your only recourse would be an attorney or possibly filing yourself in small claims court.   

2017 error in W2 entry?

TaxAudit has absolutely no way of knowing  what occurred when you imported your W-2.  

The TurboTax guarantee covers only penalties and interest, and only if a calculation error occurred in the program.  It does not cover any additional income tax you owe.

The guarantee also does not cover import errors since the program has no way of verifying what information was on your original document from which you imported.  The issuer of the W-2 is responsible for setting up a file from which the program imports so the program never has your original W-2 against which to verify information.  It is also your responsibility to verify that imported data is correct.

It's entirely possible, though, that the error had nothing to do with the import,  but was the result of entries you made.   You may have, for example, selected that the W-2 belonged to you instead of your wife, before you actually imported it.  You also are asked questions about the data after the import was done, and those answers may have been incorrect.  You would have to tell us the actual error that the IRS is saying existed before we could help you any further.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies