turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016 i need file state taxes can i go back i filed federal

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016 i need file state taxes can i go back i filed federal

TurboTax no longer supports years earlier than 2016. The state software for those years is no longer available.

Sorry---TurboTax software only goes back to 2016--and after July 15, 2020, you will not be able to use TT for 2016.  Earlier year software has been retired.

If you need to file state returns that far back, you might need local paid tax help.  Or you can try getting the paper forms from the state web site.  You always need a copy of your corresponding federal income tax form as a reference when you prepare a state return--so hope you have those.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901670-how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue

As for 2016---if you used TurboTax for your federal return you can go back and do the state return but do not expect it to be free.  You will need to download desktop software to a full PC or Mac.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-...

All years earlier than 2019 must be submitted by mail--they cannot be e-filed.  Do not combine returns for different years in the same envelope.  Mail each one separately.   Do you have your W-2's etc. that will need to be attached?

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies