This year, even if you don’t itemize, you can deduct up to $300 in cash donations made in 2020 to qualifying organizations. If you get an error message when you indicate you’ve made $300 in donations in 2020, it might be due to past state return donations being automatically transferred over to your current return. This causes the donation amount on your return to not match with what you’ve listed if the amount transferred is less than the amount entered (usually $300), triggering the error message.
To fix this, use these instructions to review your 2020 charitable contributions and add any additional donations.
- Sign in and open a section of your return.
- Search for donations and select the Jump To link in your search results.
- Answer Yes to Did you make any donations to charity in 2020?
- If you have an account with ItsDeductible Online, you can import your donations. If not, answer No and enter your donations manually on the next screen.
- On the Review All Your Charities screen, make sure the total donation amount listed equals the total deductions entered for 2020.