turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

goplay85

Haven't received my amended refund yet, it has been 8 weeks since I filed.

Haven't received my amended refund yet, it has been 8 weeks since I filed.

I tried using the app but it says they haven't received it yet. How can that be?

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
AshleighP
Intuit Alumni

To check the status of your amended return, you'll need to use the "Where My Amended Return?" tool from the IRS, which can be accessed here: https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

goplay85

I have checked that website every single day and I've tried to call them. There has to be an easier way. I just want to know if the IRS received or not received my tax return.

How do we know they actually update their website? 

Also, if they don't, what happens then? 

AshleighP
Intuit Alumni

To clarify - it's been 8 weeks since you sent your amended return by mail? 

Another question - you said you tried to call the IRS - were you able to get through? If not, I recommend trying again. Since amendments go through the IRS there is nothing that we're able to see here at TurboTax in regards to your amended return. 

goplay85

Correct, it has been officially 8 weeks, but online it says I should have known by 3 weeks after mailing. 

I understand TurboTax may not able to help but I feel so lost and concerned I don't who know else to talk with.

AshleighP
Intuit Alumni

I know this must be frustrating. I recommend calling the IRS again until you can get through to someone. They will be able to find someone who can help you.

Have you received any information on your amended return yet? I have waited 13 weeks. I suppose I have to wait 3 more so it be 16 weeks?

It actually takes up to 16 weeks for your amend to be processed and 3 weeks to appear in their system once they receive it. After your amend has been adjusted they will complete it and send it out. I am waiting on my amend that I sent in back in Feb. They just now completed it. I had to send them a second copy of my amend return because, someone there had misplaced it. I was very angry about the situation. Some of the representatives are very rude and you have to get back rude with them. I mean my thing is, if you make one mistake on your taxes they audit you and want you to pay them, but it's okay for them to lose your information and not notify you about it? It took for me to have to login onto my account to see that, they made a mistake without alerting me. This is a very sad situation.......but the one guy told me that it has been completed and I should receive it within 4-6 weeks or even before then.

romerob

what number did you call to get ahold of them. I have tried many times but it is always a machine that gives me no information what so ever.

The number to contact them is 800-829-0582 ext...623.

I received mine last week. Thankfully the wait is over.

When did you file
Carl
Level 15

Basically, an amended return can take anywhere from 8 to 16 weeks to process, since they are processed by hand. But generally, it should show up on the website at <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return">https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-re...> no more than 4 weeks after you drop it in the mail. Now if you did not send it certified mail or via some other tracking method, you have no way to prove you even sent it.
If after 8 weeks it's still not showing up on the website, I would recommend sending it again via certified mail, return receipt required (not requested). But don't send it until 8 weeks have passed. Otherwise, if they actually start processing the 2nd one while the first one is possibly being processed, you may find yourself in a never ending nightmare from which you may never awaken.
Rilisha87

I so sorry about what your going through. I am having the same problem but some of the answers for your questions have helped me figure out what might be happening. so according to the person I spoke to I was informed that after 16 weeks you should receive a letter stated what you will get back after your amended return has been adjusted. You have to wait and additional 3 weeks from the letter (not before that). The return will be sent out on the last day of the 3 week period. a check will be issued out via US postal (amended returns cannot be direct deposited). If you don't received a check at the beginning of week 4, call the number and put in the ext you were giving and they will tell you why you didn't receive your check yet. The ext will not work or get you to the correct person if you have not waited the allotted amount of time. I hope this helps somebody.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies