Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing Late

So last year I had student loans in default and after last years tax season I didn’t get a refund, turns out it was due to me not submitting the right forms not because of offset but im certain they would have been, since then though my accounts are in good standing and I am actively out of default, so I filed this year and last years taxes, this year wer not offset I was wondering if last years will be offset or if that money is just gone due to late filing ?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Filing Late

I'm not sure you are saying you ARE or are NOT in student loan default. So... If you are in default and file your taxes for 2017 and 2018, the refund(s) will be taken to cover the debt. If you have any refund amount remaining, it will be mailed to you.

If you are NOT in default and are due the refund for 2017 and /or 2018, you should receive them. The fact that you filed 2017 late will have to impact.

Filing Late

So last year when I should have filed the loans I had were in default but as of February they are not, so I filed this years taxes and last years I have since gotten this years taxes already but was told past returns must be mailed and was told to wait a month m, I was just wondering if I would get last years return as well as this years since I am now out of default status or if since last year ( the year for that return ) I was in default they would be taken
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies