turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

QBI deduction on rentals

If I claim my 3 rentals as trade or business for QBI deduction wouldn't I need to pay self-employment tax on them?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

QBI deduction on rentals

No, you don't have to pay self-employment (SE) tax. Under the new law, rentals can reach the "business" definition by having continuous activity with profit in mind. So you can continue file them as "regular" rentals, on Schedule E. And if they qualify as I mentioned above, just say yes when asked if the rental qualified for QBI to get a deduction. You will get a deduction but the net profit is not subject to SE tax. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

QBI deduction on rentals

No, you don't have to pay self-employment (SE) tax. Under the new law, rentals can reach the "business" definition by having continuous activity with profit in mind. So you can continue file them as "regular" rentals, on Schedule E. And if they qualify as I mentioned above, just say yes when asked if the rental qualified for QBI to get a deduction. You will get a deduction but the net profit is not subject to SE tax. 

QBI deduction on rentals

Thank you for your help, I've been looking all over for the answer.

MargaretL
Expert Alumni

QBI deduction on rentals

My pleasure! Good luck in 2019!

QBI deduction on rentals

Turbo tax is saying with a QBI deduction on rentals I cannot efile.  Is this correct?  Is it  just a matter of waiting for forms or does the QBI make it impossible for me to efile?  I'd rather efile.

Carl
Level 15

QBI deduction on rentals

With only three rentals, I question if you come anywhere even close to the 250 hours requirement of being "directly involved" with those rentals. This is one of the requirements to qualify for the QBI deduction. I myself have three rentals and don't come anywhere close to 250 hours in a year among all three rentals combined. Note that time you spend doing the book keeping is not considered time "directly involved" in the activity.

I found a very good "plain english" explanation of the new laws on this at https://www.bradyware.com/qbi-deduction-safe-harbor-rule-for-rental-real-estate/

Your interest will start at "new guideance for rental real estate...." But you want to read it all from the beginning so you have a better grasp on this.

I know that with my three rentals I don't come anywhere close to qualifying for the QBI, no matter how I do it.

JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

QBI deduction on rentals

Yes, you should be able to e-file with a QBI deduction, eventually. Right now Form 8995-A is not ready for e-file. Turbo Tax will update this form as soon as possible, but it looks like that will be sometime in February. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

QBI deduction on rentals

couldn't find this post originally.  But we do all the maintenance ourselves, including plumbing, painting, etc., as well as all the renting out, showing, ad writing etc.  Including all the bookkeeping, compliance with rent control, etc.  Not just reviewing statements someone else prepared

And my question was really why turbo tax said I couldn't efile.

JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

QBI deduction on rentals

You should be able to e-file after the program is updated.

As of today, Form 8995-A, which is where your QBI would be calculated, is not approved for e-file yet. We have teams working on it, but right now, I can't give you an exact date. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies