turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pitabread

form 8962

If my father took care of forms 8962 and 1095A on his return including all payments for me. I was included on the 1095A for six months and had employer provided insurance for the last six months of 2017.I worked full time during 2017 and already filed my own 1040 tax (through turbo tax).How do I use 8962 in this case to respond to the IRS letter 12C requesting that I submit forms 8962 and 1095A? The form 8962 instructions seem to indicate most of the 8962 need not be filled out but are quite confusing on how to fill out the form in my case. Will you please help me?.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Fladygo7

form 8962

I completed the 1095 correctly, however, the 8962 does not show the correct AIG.  How do I get in and change the 8962 to reflect the correct infor

form 8962

I have the form not sure how to fill it out 

Carl
Level 15

form 8962

First, since this is for tax year 2017 are you using the CD version of TurboTax 2017 that you have physically installed on your computer? I ask for confirmation, because at this point you "MUST" use the desktop version. If you completed your original 2017 return with TurboTax online, then you will have to download the .tax2017 file from your online account and place it in the Documents/Turbotax directory on the computer where you have the desktop version of TurboTax 2017 installed. Is all of this done? If not, then do that first before you bother responding back please.

I completed the 1095 correctly, however, the 8962 does not show the correct AIG.

If you are referring to line 2a on the 8962, it does not ask for your AGI. It asks for your "MODIFIED" AGI (MAGI).  That could very well be different from your AGI shown on line 37 of your 2017 form 1040.

How do I get in and change the 8962 to reflect the correct information?

To do it correctly so you don't screw things up, it's important to know "for a fact" that the letter you got from the IRS instructed you to specifically and explicitly either mail the documents to them, or fax the documents to them. Is that what the letter instructs you to do?

Also, what is it "exactly" that you need to correct/fix on the 8962? If only the MAGI, then we need to discuss that in further detail, as the program would have put the correct figure on line 2a for you. Of course, that "correct figure" is based on the assumption that you entered the correct information in the program prior to getting to the healthcare section of the program.

Also to help you with this, on the 1095A how many people (including your parents) are listed as covered by the plan on that specific 1095A? This matters big time for getting percentages right when asked for those in the healthcare section.

Carl
Level 15

form 8962

Oh one more thing:

If my father took care of forms 8962 and 1095A on his return including all payments for me.

If your father did "NOT" claim you as a dependent on his tax return, then you are required to report your share of the 1095-A on your own tax return.

This is also true if you selected the option for "I can be claimed on someone else's tax return" and did not provide the information to indicate your healthcare coverage was reported on your fathers return. The wording in the program can be misleading at times, and I suspect that's what happened. It's worded in such a way so as to confuse you, without you even realizing you're confused.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies