Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Adam80
Returning Member

after realizing I didnt need to file a state return, i deleted it but its still showing up

after realizing i didnt need to file a GA state return due to the fact that my husband works in FL and that state does not require you to file a state return so i then deleted it from my account several times but every time i log into my account, its still showing up there. can someone please help me with this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

after realizing I didnt need to file a state return, i deleted it but its still showing up

If you reside in Georgia, then you will need to file Georgia state taxes, regardless of where you earned the income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It sounds like maybe that's your only family income - your husband's earnings in FL. However if you have any earnings in GA including interest and dividends (even if earned elsewhere, if you reside in GA), then you should look at whether you need to file. Also remember that you need to file a state return if needed to claim back any state income tax withheld that you should not have paid.

Adam80
Returning Member

ok im alittle confrused....so youre saying i only need to file a state return only if "I" myself, earned any other income within the state of GA correct? but thing is, you had it right at the beginning....my husband's earned income came only from the state of FL and they dont withhold state taxes and therefor states that a person is not required to file a state return, this i learned just earlier.

Adam80
Returning Member

as i stated in a previous reply, the thing that i most recently learned was this ...my husband's earned income came only from the state of FL and they dont withhold state taxes and therefor, i was told that a person is not required to file a state return in this case plus I am a stay at home mom so therefor, i do not work. so my question to you would be this, if the FL W2 shows no state taxes withheld, then what reason is there to file for?

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

If you are  a full year resident of Georgia you are taxed on all income regardless of the source or where derived. This requirement applies as long as your legal residence is Georgia, even if you are absent or live outside the State temporarily.A credit for taxes paid to another State is allowed. Since Florida doesn't tax you this wouldn't apply. But a Georgia return is required.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies