Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor I

adjusting gross income

im married. im a resident alien, my husband is a non-resident alien. i live in California. i will file my taxes as married filing jointly.

i have income from self employment. my husband is a student enrolled in UCLA. he was not authorized to work in the states for the year 2017. he was mandated by the school to pay for health coverage as a student. the policy was under his name, but i was paying for it, since he cant work.

my question is : can i deduct my husband's health insurance premiums from my self employment income so i can have less taxable adjusted gross income ?

1 Comment
TurboTax Specialist

adjusting gross income

Yes.  Since your husband is not working you can deduct his health insurance premiums on your Married Filing Jointly return.  Keep in mind, "You can only claim the health insurance premiums write-off for months when neither you nor your spouse were eligible to participate in an employer-subsidized health plan."


Click this TurboTax article Deducting Health Insurance Premiums If You're Self-Employed for more information.


Note:  There are certain rules when non-residents use the MFJ filing status.  Post another question in this community should you need additional guidance.

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.