turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Japetha
Returning Member

Work in Ohio but live in NC - need help with state returns!

Please someone help me - I'm desperate! When I file my Ohio state return first (someone told me that was what I had to do for it to recognize my taxes paid in NC), it does show taxes paid and I have a $200 return. Then when I go to my NC return (where I live), it doesn't recognize the amount I have paid in Ohio and thinks I owe it $1400! Please someone tell me how to get NC to recognize already paid taxes in my "work" state. Thank you!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

Enter the Ohio taxes that you paid on the page listed below.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Japetha
Returning Member

Hi Paula, The line you highlighted is in a different place on my form but it is the same line. It says my state tax credit is $1258 ( what I paid to Ohio). It still says oh almost $1200 to North Carolina. How can that be? Why would I owe that much when all of my income was made in Ohio, except $172. Granted I have made a lot more money this year than I ever have in the previous years but I assumed if I paid income tax in one state, I didn’t have to pay the same thing in another state? Please help, and my cell phone is [phone number removed] if that is any help. Thank you!
PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

Be certain to complete your non-resident return first, before completing your resident return.

How do I file a nonresident state return?

Japetha
Returning Member

Yes I prepared my Ohio first. I wanted to send you a screenshot but there’s no way to add that. if this is the case that I/O both states the same amount of income tax, and they are crediting my resident state for what I paid to Ohio, then that means I must’ve owed $2400 in state tax to North Carolina even though 99.9% most of my income was in Ohio. How can this be? If there’s anyway to contact me, I would appreciate it. Japetha at cs dot com or 70four, two0one, 9sevenTwo0. Thanks 😢
Japetha
Returning Member

Paula, I just switched to manual forms from that page and it does not show any credit on line 7, which is “credit for income tax paid to other state (enter the smaller of line 5 or line 6).” It shows a credit when you’re going through TurboTax but when you change to the manual form, it’s not there. It only has zero on that line, but I’m not sure I know how to complete this worksheet. I will never again do this by myself! 😩
PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

Revisit the section where you entered the credit and make sure you complete the entire section.

Japetha
Returning Member

It’s of no use. It is entered for me. I guess I have to file for an extension and lose the $50 I paid for the Ohio return and take it to someone else to do. Do you have a number to TurboTax for help? Thx
PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Or 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies