Visitor II

Who is responsible for taxes on a Commission rebate ?

I just signed a contract of house sale. My buyer agent said she will credit me 1% of her commission at closing and she claim that she still has to pay 25% of tax on the commission rebate. Is it true? Is a commission rebate taxable to her?

1 Comment
Catalyst V

All income from all sources is reportable on a tax return. Weather it's taxable or not is another matter. Any monies you receive as the buyer, and it doesn't matter what you call it, be it a rebate, credit, or anything else, subtracts from your cost basis in the property you are buying. So if you purchase the property for $100,000 and the agent gives you back $1000 of their commission, your cost basis in the property is $99,000 and your agent will not pay taxes on that $1,000 they give back to you. (That is, unless they want to. The IRS does not have a problem with people paying taxes on money they don't keep, and will gladly accept their tax payment for it.)

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.