turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Virginia Sales Tax for something bought online while in TN?

Doing my VA state tax return and it asked about purchases made over the past year. So if I bought something online and didn't pay VA tax, I need to report it and actually pay tax now on it. However, I lived temporarily in TN for a short time this year and bought something online and I didn't pay any sales tax for (for either state). Do I need to report and pay sales tax for VA since that was my permanent residence? Or do I report and pay through TN since I was located there when I bought it? Thanks!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Pay the use tax for VA online purchases on your VA return. If you were a part-year resident of TN, then you would pay use taxes for purchases made there while a resident on your part-year resident return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Do you have to pay taxes on the product twice? Wouldn't it just be paid to your permanent home state? If that were so then anything you ever bought on a trip would need to be reported right?
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

No, not twice. Use tax is owed when you bought something and did not pay sales tax and then brought into Virginia. See the link below for a good explanation of Use tax.

Virginia Use Tax

Paula, thanks for your help!! I am still a little confused and so want to clarify.

I understand the information in your link but still have some questions. For instance, say I bought a laptop over the internet and didn't pay any sales tax. I udnerstand that if i was in Virginia and bought it I should simply enter the price of the laptop. However, I was in TN when I bought the laptop and didn't pay sales tax. So should I pay TN the sales tax or VA the sales tax? 

Also, what about items I bought in TN that I did pay TN sales tax on, but then brought back to VA. I am guessing I don't need to pay VA sales tax on them since I already paid the TN sales tax?

I did not plan to submit a TN tax return since they have no income tax.

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

If you purchased the laptop online and while a resident in TN then you would report use tax to TN. You can pay with this link. TN Use tax  You would not pay VA use taxes on the TN laptop purchase. The same is true for other items that you already paid TN sales taxes on. You won't pay VA taxes on them again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies