Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Urgent: Moved, what address should I give to IRS?

I've never filed tax return in U.S before.

I started a small business in 2017 in state A. I moved to another state B in Jan 2018. I got a 1099-k from PayPal early 2018. The address on 1099-k is in state A.

I am now filing my tax for 2017. Should I use my current new address in state B in all forms? Will this trigger a red flag for an audit? I addition to IRS federal tax,  it would be more of a trouble when I pay local state A's tax but put my address in state B?

Or I still put my old address in state A? I've done the USPS address change on USPS web site to have all letters to my old address in state A forwarded to new one in state B. But I've heard if senders want to know recipient's real new address, they can just put a "Return Service Requested" on letter. Thus the letter may not be forwarded and returned to sender and sender is notified the recipient's new address. I wonder if IRS  may do so?

The due date April 17 is approaching. Can any one help me out which address should I use considering not increasing the probability of audit?   

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Use your current address on all returns. Audits are not conducted because your address is different on forms. File and address change with the IRS.

IRS Change of Address

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

PaulaM: thank you!

Since I have never filed tax return in the past, there is no need to "change" anything with IRS  right now? Just use my most current new addres in state B in all forms, depite that the 1099-k IRS received from paypal recorded my old adress in state A. Right?

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Correct. If you have not filed with the IRS, then you don't have to correct your address. Use your current address on all filings.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies