turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

blue2oct7

Taxes/capital gains on prize house

If I win a house through a raffle, and decide to sell the house and pay the prize tax, would I also have to pay capital gains? So let's say the house is worth $450,000. The house counts as income. So let's say my tax rate is 25%. Let's say I sell the house for $450,000. So I pay my taxes of $112,500 and take the rest of the money (minus 6% for realtors' fees), $310,500 and buy a different house with it. Will I then pay capital gains since I turned around and put every leftover dollar into the new house? Or might this qualify as a like-kind exchange?

Now obviously, I can live in the house 2 years, then sell it and avoid capital gains. But, I'm trying to explore different options.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Taxes/capital gains on prize house

No, it doesn't work that way at all.  If you pay tax on the $450,000 in income, the amount on which you paid tax  becomes  your cost basis in the house,.  Were you to sell it for $450,000 less costs of sale such as broker fees, you would actually experience a loss.  What you do with the  sale proceeds makes no difference.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies