Visitor III

Taxes Paid on Social Security payments that were paid back

I started receiving Social Security in 2016, and then started working part time in 2017. In 2018 I was required to pay back all of my SS payments from 2017 due to making too much income while still less than full SS retirement age.

Can I take a deduction on my 2018 return for the income taxes I paid on my Social Security payments in 2017, since I had to pay them all back ?

1 Comment
Tax Expert

It depends on how your repayment is shown on your SSA-1099 form.  Typically, the form will show the repayment in Box 4 of the SSA-1099 and the "net" (2018 benefits minus the repayment amount for 2017) will show in Box 5.  In this case, only the Box 5 "net" amount will show on your 2018 tax return.   In this case, there is no deduction because it is included in the Box 5 amount.

If your repayments are more than your benefits for 2018, there is a worksheet in IRS Publication 915 to show you how to calculate it.  Here is a link toIRS Publication 915 .   Keep in mind this publication is for 2017 as the new 2018 publications are not yet published.  

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.