turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Self Employment Tax? 19 years old, did IT work.

I'm new to this, fresh out of high school from last year. I did independent IT work for a few months in the latter half of 2017. I got a 1099-MISC. I used turbo tax, and I'm almost ready to file, but my mother mentioned a self employment tax, and a hefty fee if you don't pay it.

I'm confused by this. That's all she said over text, and now I'm scared to death. Did Turbo Tax handle this for me? I have Turbo Tax deluxe, would I need to upgrade to self-employed? I don't want to pay that if I don't have to, I make very little income at the moment. I obviously don't own a business, I just did some simple IT work for a few months. Is this considered self-employed, and am I missing anything?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LindaA
Expert Alumni

Yes, your mom's right about the self-employment tax. When you are paid on a 1099-MISC the IRS considers you self-employed (you are the business). You are required to pay self-employment tax (Social Security and Medicare taxes) if your net self-employment income is at least $400. TurboTax asks questions when you enter your 1099-MISC to make sure you report the income correctly. If you don't have any expenses to deduct for your IT work you don't need to upgrade to TurboTax Self-Employed.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LindaA
Expert Alumni

Yes, your mom's right about the self-employment tax. When you are paid on a 1099-MISC the IRS considers you self-employed (you are the business). You are required to pay self-employment tax (Social Security and Medicare taxes) if your net self-employment income is at least $400. TurboTax asks questions when you enter your 1099-MISC to make sure you report the income correctly. If you don't have any expenses to deduct for your IT work you don't need to upgrade to TurboTax Self-Employed.  

Thank you very much!! Your answer is very helpful, thanks for the info! I feel much better
LindaA
Expert Alumni

@NoahJosephHall I'm happy it helped.

Manage cookies