Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mike2

Sale of stock options

After I retired, I held stock options for 10 years and sold them. The info about the sale came thru on a W@ and listed the proceeds as wages with notation after that they were stock options. How do I record them on my 1040?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Sale of stock options

Sounds like you had a grant that you never exercised for that period.....thus it was a Same-Day sale.  (Assuming you did sell the stock and don't hold it after the exercise)

So to do that you enter your W-2 as a W-2, and you also enter the stock sale on a form 1099-B/8949 as if it was any other stock sale....but you update the basis of the sale to the price on the date you actually exercised it....pus any brokerage fees should result in a small loss for the brokerage entries.  AND you do not say that you had taxes withheld during the brokerage entries...because that withholding is on your W-2 (correct?), and you've already entered that form.  So all the gain and withholding is a part of your W-2 form entry.

To do this with the Online software, you must use "Premier".  Deluxe can do it if you are using the Desktop software, but "Premier" has an interview section specifically geared to employee stock option sales.

Read situation #2 here if you did a same-day exercise and sale of either NQSO or ISO options

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/investments-and-taxes/non-qualified-stock-options/L8zsxRi7B

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies