Visitor II

Sale of Personal Home Converted to Rental

I need assistance entering data for the sale of personal residence.  We qualify for the 2 out of 5 year rule.  Before the sale, we had converted the home to a rental.  The house was sold for a gain.  We qualified for the MJF exclusion but we were subject to the recapture gain only based on the depreciation taken.   In my Schedule E depreciation schedule, it shows three assets (house, fence, and improvements) being depreciated, and land not depreciated.

I believe the data should be entered into Sch D, Form 4797, and Form 8949 but my amounts aren’t flowing correctly to the forms.  I think the forms should be presented the following way:

*Form 8949, in Part II, should show the details of the sale as long-term with a code H but no gain showing.  I don't know how to get the code H to show.

*Form 4797 should show only the recapture gain on Part III. 

*Schedule D should show on line 10 amounts flowing from Form 8949, and line 11 shows the recapture gain.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Eric

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.