Visitor II

Qualified Disaster Traditional IRA Distribution for Hurricane Harvey

I am trying to figure out a few things before I do a dumb in 2018. This question will apply to my 2018 tax return.

I live in Houston, Texas and during Hurricane Harvey I was effected and loss mainly personal property in my garage. I am currently selling my home right now and my close date is 7/20 and there are some conditions of the buyer that relate to Harvey damage. Here is what I would like input on:

Per IRS Publication 590 in Chapter 3 it appears that if you meet 3 qualifications: 1 - Distribution made after August 22, 2017 and before January 1, 2019 (check); 2 - Main home located in a qualified disaster area on August 23rd, 2017 (check); 3 - Sustained economic loss because of Hurricane Harvey (check - I claimed personal property loss on my 2017 tax return, this would be in addition).

If I take a distribution from my Traditional IRA (I am not 59 1/2 by the way) but I meet all of the above Disaster criteria, will this count as a qualified disaster distribution and be exempt from the 10% penalty? Also, this will be coming out of a Traditional IRA and therefore the income is taxable and from what I gather, I only have to claim 1/3rd of the distribution as income over a 3 year period (2018, 2019, 2020) at the respective $25,000/year. Is this correct, am I missing something? Can someone point me to the proper reporting form for disaster related retirement distributions (or did I not read far enough in Pub 590)?

If I wanted to repay this distribution, it says I can repay it to an eligible retirement plan within 3 years of the date of distribution. My question here, it doesn't specify that it has to go back into the same account as the distribution... could a repay into a different (say my other ROTH IRA) retirement account?

Thanks for the assistance,

Claire

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.