Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor II

New York State (non-)resident



I was in the US in 2016 on an F-1 student visa.  I started a job after graduating from my PhD in the fall of 2016, and officially graduated in January 2017.


I spent around 200 days in New York State in 2016, so more than half a year.  However, I sublet my apartment for 3.5 months in 2016, so that I did not maintain a place of abode for more than 11 months in New York (City).  This suggests that to be a tax resident I need to spend more than 184 days AND have a permanent place of abode for at least 11 months, which is not the case for me.


My understanding was that I am therefore not a New York Resident, and that I can file a non-resident tax return.  However, the NYS Dept of Taxation seems to disagree, and converted my non-resident return into a resident return.  This causes me to be, for example, liable for New York City taxes.



1) Is the law really clear that I am a resident for tax purposes despite subletting my apartment for 3.5 months?


2) Is it too late to complain?  What is the best way to do it?  I sent the NYS Dept of Taxation an online message but received no response.


Many thanks for your insights!

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.