turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bingnune

Multiple Accounts with Turbo Tax

When I started to file this year after becoming disabled and being of work for over a year and no income since the middle of the year, I was directed to use the Turbo Tax Freedom File. It was great to have the option, but it forced me to make a new account with Intuit.
I filled everything in again and filed, but then Turbo Tax held my return for 72 hours because I used a different account than last year. What is going on with that? Is there a way to merge the two accounts?
I had to send in a photo ID to prove I was who I said I was. I asked why, because they have no idea what I look like anyway.
This reduced the hold to an approximate 24 hour hold while they verify my ID. This doesn't make any sense to me at all, and now my return is delayed anyway.
I appreciate the security, but I also want my taxes filed.
Any advice on combining the accounts so this doesn't happen next year?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

TurboTax Freedom is a separate account outside of Turbotax.com. It was made this way to keep things completely free and no chance of accidentally adding anything to create charges. This is why they cannot be combined. The extra security is happening everywhere due to the millions of fraudulent tax returns being filed in the previous years. 

bingnune

These accounts couldn't have been totally separate, because it tagged my old account as a different one and held the new account's return to verify it was me filing. I understand, and again I appreciate the extra security but I would have liked that information prior to filing. It seems to me that should be something you are aware you are getting into for that reason, so you aren't caught off guard at the end. Does that make sense? It struck me as the right hand not knowing what the left hand was doing, but not on purpose. If I was informed up front, I probably would not have been annoyed that I had to fill everything in again, and when it came up at the end that I was going to be delayed. Had I known, I would have expected something like this and not been worried that I was somehow doing something wrong inside Turbo Tax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies