Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kris24

Moving to NJ - when should I update my address?

I work in New York City and I have a permanent address in New York City (where my parents live).  I am now renting and living in an apartment in New Jersey and would LOVE to save the NYC tax.  I moved in April, but haven't updated my address anywhere (With my employer, drivers license, etc.).  The question is timing - should I change my address with my employer before July 1 so the majority of the year will be spent in NJ? or wait until Jan 1 to avoid having to file 2 returns?  Any advice would be helpful!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AJ
Level 6

Moving to NJ - when should I update my address?

My advice is that honesty is usually the best policy.  In the big scheme of life, filing either one or filing two tax returns should not be the driving factor for making a decision about domicile.  TurboTax can handle your tax return issues.  Key questions concern where do you sleep at night, and do you intend to keep that pattern for the near future.  If you drive a car, then your insurance company wants to know where it is parked at night and likely wants to know something about your commute each day. You don't want to be caught in any fraudulent position with insurance or local governments. It appears that you work in New York, so New York will want to tax New York source income regardless of where you sleep at night.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies