turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

LLC or Personal?

My husband and I purchased our first rental property in Texas. We also formed an LLC (with just us on it) to shield us from liability issues. We both work and receive W2s. Do I claim the rental property under our personal taxes? Or do I need to file taxes under the LLC?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

LLC or Personal?

If the LLC is a disregarded entity for tax purposes, you just claim the rental property income and expenses on your personal return using Schedule E.  If the LLC is treated as a partnership, then the partnership's return will provides the information on the property's income/expenses to IRS, and then you each get a schedule K-1 to use for paying the tax on your personal return.  If the LLC is treated as a corporation, then it depends whether it is an "S" or "C" corporation and gets taxed as a pass-thru entity or a separate entity, respectively.

LLC or Personal?

The default tax classification for a single member LLC is a disregarded entity. The default tax classification for a multi member LLC is a partnership. If you and your spouse are members of the LLC you are likely to file a partnership return. If only one of you owns the business than you can file a schedule E. I would not recommend electing to be treated as a corporation because of the issues with appreciated property distributions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies