turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Nearing70
Returning Member

Is Turbo Tax Good For What-If Analysis and Tax Planning?

I am between 59-1/2 and 70.  I am looking for software that can easily perform what-if analysis - in particular, with regards to balancing long term capital gains I may choose to take vs early IRA withdrawals.  I want to maximize early IRA withdrawals while keeping my tax liability near zero.

In general, the quick online calculators, and some of the Turbo Tax options I have looked at are not convenient in so far as you generally have to run through a long series of questions for each case you want to run.  The calculators do not generally remember your previous responses.

I want something that I can set up a base case with (entering all personal information and running through all the various questions regarding deductions, rental income, dividends, capital gains, and IRA withdrawals ONCE).  I then want to run cases where, for example, I vary only the IRA withdrawals.  I do not want to run through all the base case questions again for each case.

Does TurboTax have a product that can easily do this type of what-if analysis?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Yes, but only the Desktop software that you download and install on your Windows or MAC computer.

Only the 2017 tax software is available, but the What-If worksheet has a checkbox for 2018 calculations on data on that sheet.

You would download and install the 2017 software.  Fill out your information for your 2017 tax return (and... see if it matches whatever you actually filed.)   

And when done and saved you can switch to Forms Mode to open the What-IF worksheet.  That allows you to copy all your 2017 data into  3 other columns, select the "2018" box for those columns....and then change any of the data in each of those columns to try different situations.

The 2017 tax software cannot be used for your actual 2018 taxes though.  You'd need to repurchase the software, or use the Online software next year if you plan to use TurboTax to file for 2018.

TurboTax sells their 2017 downloads here  (Amazon may be cheaper, but be careful in that they also sell DELUXE versions that do not contain one free state, but Premier may be more applicable for your purposes anyhow with rental income.....the What-IF worksheet can't do a state prediction...I doubt if anyone has one for that):

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

Check the minimum Computer requirements first:

Windows:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901571-minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-windows-software

MAC:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899173-minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-mac-software

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

IF you buy, download, install the 2017 Desktop software, you can fill that in with all your 2017 tax data, adn check that it matches what you actually filed for 2017 too.   

Then go to a What-IF worksheet in Forms Mode and transfer the $$ from the 2017 column to any/all of 3 other columns......check the 2018 box, and you'll see what the same $$ would be taxed with 2018 tax laws...AND you can change the $$ directly in each of the additional 2018 columns at-will.  See attached picture.  I've tested and it includes most of the 2018 changes, but there may be some fine points that it doesn't capture yet...which ones, I wouldn't know.

(You will have to buy new 2018 software when 2018 comes around early in 2019...each year is specific for that year, except for the What-IF sheet)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Nearing70
Returning Member

Thank you!  Just what I need to know, and thanks for the screenshot.  I'll give it a go.

Nearing70
Returning Member

As per your recommendation, I have bought TurboTax Premier 2017 and entered all my 2017 tax info.  I have saved the return, but obviously not filed it.  I have switched to Forms mode and I can see that all the forms pretty well match the 2017 return I actually filed.   But I cannot find the What-If section.

How do I get to the What-If section that you refer to and supplied a screenshot of?

Thanks.

Nearing70
Returning Member

I found the What-If sheet.  The only way to find it seems to be to go Form / Open Form / and type in "what" in the text box, which then finds the form.

Why isn't the What-If Form listed with all the others by default?

bearsfolks
Returning Member

Steam Train:

I'm trying to do the same thing, and I followed the instructions in this thread to use the what-if worksheet, and checked the "Use 2018 tax rates" and the program did not change any of the numbers and the AGI, and taxes were identical to 2017.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks

Nearing70
Returning Member

I'm the original poster, and just checked that it still works.  I went through the initial phase of defining my current tax return.  Got the What-If Worksheet on the screen, put a check mark next to "Copy Column 1 to Column 2", and then checked the Use 2018 Tax Rates in Column 2.  For me, it works - both AGI and tax payable change in Column 2.

Did you get all the way through the initial phase?  I don't know if it would matter, but did you save the return before using the What-If?  Really can't think of what it could be.  

bearsfolks
Returning Member

Hi Nearing70. Thanks for responding.

I used the TurboTax return that I filed last year, so it has gone through all the stages. Now I should clarify that I input directly into the forms--don't use the interview until I am ready to file, and then it reviews everything. For whatever reason, it doesn't work for me. I also made sure that my software was uptodate, and it is.

Can't understand why it doesn't work for me.

Nearing70
Returning Member

Interesting.  I didn't know you could bypass the interview.  Good to know for the future.  I can't imagine why using forms vs the interview should make a difference though.

I suppose a possible difference between me and you is that you filed through Turbo Tax, and I filed through my accountant (I only use Turbo Tax for the what-if aspect).  So as far as Turbo Tax knows, I haven't filed yet.  But again, why would actually filing the return lock you out of a 2018 what-if?  Must be something else.

Hope you get a response from Turbo Tax.  If not, you might try creating a new topic specifically for your problem.  They were very responsive when I first posted this topic.

Good luck

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies