Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mew5280

IRA Tax Deduction when not eligible for a 401k plan partial year

In 2017, I worked from January - March on one W2 contract position where I was eligible and participated in a company 401k.  From April - June I was not employed and from July - December (and current), I have been working on another W2 contract position where I was NOT eligible for a 401k plan.  When I enter an IRA deduction for 2017, I get a message that my AGI is too high for someone who is eligible for a 401k retirement plan and I received NO deduction.  But I was not eligible for any retirement plan from March - December of 2017 so I think I can be allowed that deduction, correct? 

I cannot find anywhere in Turbotax (I'm using the online version) to indicate that I did not have 401k eligibility for 9 months last year.  I have entered two W4's, one has 401k info (Jan-March) and the second does not.  Is Turbotax making an assumption on the first W4?  Is there any way to change this?  Otherwise I will have to file using another service or manually.

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
mew5280

IRA Tax Deduction when not eligible for a 401k plan partial year

Answering my own question...  On my third hour of internet research, I finally found the answer.   If you are covered by an employer 401k for even 1 hour of a year, for tax purposes, you are considered covered for the entire year.  If you contribute to an IRA, you do not get a deduction on this until you retire.  Seems like a really silly way to do this but that's the answer.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies