Visitor I

I have 10% ownership of a rental, Can I take Full Depreciation of its total cost base?

I have 10% ownership of a rental property and my parents have 90% ownership of it with a tenancy in common deed in Massachusetts.

I solely manage the rental property, collect all the rental income and pay all the expenses for it.  For the tax, I know I can input my actual rental income and expenses. But for the rental depreciation deduction, Can I take the full depreciation deduction of its total cost base, as same as I own 100% of it, if I have agreement with my parents and they don't include this rental income or any deduction in their tax return?

1 Comment
Tax Expert

No. If your ownership interest is 10%, then that is the value of the property that you can list as an Asset and depreciate. Your parents would be able to depreciate the remaining share.

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.