turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HSA

This was our 1st year having an HSA account. We received Form 1099-SA showing our distributions for medical expenses we paid for. But my husbands W-2 does not show anything in box 12 with a W to show how much we put into the HSA. Instead his company just deducted it from his wages in Box 1. What do I do? I don't know how to fill out form 8889. Please help. Do I need to request a correted W-2? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

HSA

Yes, request a corrected W-2. The HSA contribution amounts are to be reported in the Box 12 of your W-2 with a code of W.

The box 12 will have the employee and employer contribution amount and the code is what gets transferred to the proper form. 

If your employer can give you this amount, you don't have to wait on the form to file, but they do need to correct the W-2. Enter the amount in the box 12 entry form in TurboTax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

HSA

We just experienced huge delays because of this and my husband's employer never agreed to add the code and insisted they did not need to.  We found out, through lots of searches, to OK out of that screen where it's asking you for the contributions (either automatically loaded from the W-2 Box 12 which was missing *or* contributions made outside of employer payroll, which isn't correct in our situation either).  You'll eventually get to a screen that talks about "Did your employer tell you about any other contributions?" and then describes contributions applying to a previous year.  You need to say Yes to this, then you will get the box that says "Employer and payroll contributions not reported in Box 12 of your W-2".  Not intuitive *at all* - this box should appear on the previous screen where the other two options are.  I'm trying to go back to forums to help folks out with this because we wasted so much time on it!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies