turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HSA reimbursement

I have a question regarding HSA's.  I keep getting errors on form 8889 - guess I'm not answering the questions correctly.  My daughter turned 26 on 3/31/17.  She was covered on my employers health plan until then.  Starting 4/1, she was enrolled in her employer health plan, which is an HSA.  She is single - no dependents.  I am not sure what an HDHP includes. Perhaps my employer (Samsung) health plan is considered an HDHP.  Again, how do I answer the questions related to my daughter's situation.  Thank you for your help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

HSA reimbursement

On her tax return, answer from her point of view only for her HSA and HDHP coverage. From her point of view, she never had family coverage (you did-report on your return). She only had her HSA/HDHP coverage from April - Dec. Indicate none for Jan-March, as this HSA/HDHP coverage was not hers.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

HSA reimbursement

What errors are you seeing? 

HSA reimbursement

On form 8889T, it is asking me to indicate which months my daughter had HDHP coverage, and for self or family.  She was covered under my employers health plan as my dependent until 3/31/17 when she turned 26.  At that time, by law I can no longer cover her and she then went on her employers HSA plan.  The only way I can get Turbo Tax to stop identifying form 8889T as having errors is to do the following:

1. Indicate my daughter had a HDHP plan for Jan, Feb and March of 2017 - family plan

2. show none for Apr - Dec

I am not sure if I am filling it out properly.  It changes her tax liability from owing $$ for federal to getting a couple hundred dollars back.  That is why I want to make sure I am doing this correctly.

Thanks.  Rick

HSA reimbursement

Additional info.  She is single.  Although I could cover her on my health plan at work, I have not been able to claim her as a dependent for tax purposes for a few years as she lives in NYC.  My concern with saying she has a HDHP account is that it seems the form is set up to calculate costs as if she paid for it.  Again, she did not as I covered her under my employer's plan.

PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

HSA reimbursement

On her tax return, answer from her point of view only for her HSA and HDHP coverage. From her point of view, she never had family coverage (you did-report on your return). She only had her HSA/HDHP coverage from April - Dec. Indicate none for Jan-March, as this HSA/HDHP coverage was not hers.

HSA reimbursement

Thank you very much.  Your advice was spot on.  Exactly the help I needed.

Sincerely, 

Rick Heal

PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

HSA reimbursement

You are welcome 🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies